What is Bus Connects?
BusConnects aims to overhaul the current bus system in the Dublin region by:
- building a network of “next generation” bus corridors on the busiest bus routes to make bus journeys faster, predictable and reliable;
- introducing Bus Rapid Transit, a higher quality of bus system, on three of the busiest corridors;
- completely redesigning the network of bus routes to provide a more efficient network, connecting more places and carrying more passengers;
- developing a state-of-the-art ticketing system using credit and debit cards or mobile phones to link with payment accounts and making payment much more convenient;
- implementing a cashless payment system to vastly speed up passenger boarding times;
- revamping the fare system to provide a simpler fare structure, allowing seamless movement between different transport services without financial penalty;
- implementing a new bus livery providing a modern look and feel to the new bus system;
- rolling out new bus stops with better signage and information and increasing the provision of additional bus shelters; and
- transitioning - starting now - to a new bus fleet using low-emission vehicle technologies.
For passengers BusConnects will deliver:
- reliable and punctual bus services;
- faster journey times for passengers;
- comfortable, modern vehicles;
- high frequency service on busy routes;
- an easy to understand network;
- universal passenger information - at roadside, on apps and on vehicles;
- simpler fare structures and easier payment; and
- seamless integration with other transport types.
For businesses BusConnects will:
- by improving transport, make Dublin a more attractive location for employers;
- increase potential employment catchment areas by providing new transport links;
- reduce commuting time for employees; and
- reduce car congestion and enhance the attractiveness of urban centres for shopping and social purposes.
For cyclists BusConnects will:
- deliver a step-change in cycling facilities on the key radial routes into the city centre;
- provide safe cycling facilities, largely segregated from other traffic, along these corridors; and
- provide the opportunity for more people to cycle to work, school, college or for recreational purposes.
For visitors BusConnects will:
- ensure a simpler and more understandable bus transport system;
- enable easy use of the bus system, without the need to purchase advance tickets or payment cards;
- make more places accessible for visitors and tourists; and
- reduce the impacts of traffic congestion in urban centres.
For the environment BusConnects will:
- enable more people to use sustainable transport;
- transition the bus fleet to low emission vehicles;
- assist Ireland to meet its climate change targets; and
- provide a greener transport system for everyone.